History of Kandahar
Kandahar is the second largest city of Afghanistan and a major commercial center.
Alexander the Great founded the city in the 4th century BC and named it one of his
Alexandrias. Ahmad Shah Durrani, the founder of the Afghan Empire, made
Kandahar the capital of Afghanistan. In 1776, his son Timur Shah, transferred the
capital to Kabul. The name “Kandahar” may derive from Iskandariya (Alexander in
Persia) or from Gandahara, an ancient kingdom.
There are many places of interest in Kandahar :
- The mausoleum of Ahmad Shah Durrani.
- The mausoleum of Mirwais Khan Hotaki (Afghan national hero and leader of the
- Chilzina view (Forty Steps), carved out of a solid piece of rock. The steps lead to a
small niche in which an inscription commemorating the victories of the Emperor
Babur in the 16th century was carved.
- The shrine of the Cloak of the Prophet Muhammad.